Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Multi-tasking Cubed

Hiya blog surfers,

If you're reading this, I can't imagine why.  But regardless, my soul has been moved to post a thought or two today.  But first, a question.

"How much do you disassemble before you start fixing and putting things back together?"

I ask this because I am fixing both a truck-camper (one of them things that sit in the back of my truck), here's a picture. It don't look bad from the outside, but the insides suffer from moisture penetration, decades of neglect, and the usual wear and tear.  In short, aside from the framing and exterior (which I'll have to do some time later) I've done large chunks of the whole thing, including switching out the vents for new ones, pulling up the entire floor down to plywood, and replacing large chunks of the decayed interior paneling.

Now, to reference both the title and the question above, I'm doing the same thing with the house we bought four years ago.  I started the tear out and rebuild of that house when we bought it.  So far it's mostly done, with the odd bit here and there left to do, things like finishing up the trim, drywall repairs, the last little bit of the roof, etc, etc.


Most of the house is at the stage shown here in this picture, it's together, but not done.  It's been four years of hard work to this point, and I still need to get the kitchen, bathroom and whole exterior done, but I will get there.

Thus, I suppose the answer to the question above, "how much?" is that a father will do as much as is needed to get it right, if you take down the drywall and the joists are rotten, then you replace the joists, if you took down the joists only to find out the floor was ant-holed and rotten, then it all comes down and you start at the bottom and rebuild to the top.  (that was my course, *sigh*)

But I'm getting there, and I suppose that this post is to remind myself that despite being a full time accounting tech, a father of three, husband to a wife with needs, and general handyman for the whole world (yes I own a truck, and no I can't help this weekend, but you can borrow the truck if you really need it).  Oops, run on sentence.  Recap, it will get done, it might not look as nice as I want, but I'll get it done.  And with my wife's help in things like painting the camper and indeed the whole house, it will get done sooner.

I love you my Angel, we'll get through this, hopefully sooner than later.  but we'll get through things.

Your devoted if exhausted husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post it, please verify that it's what you really want to say. Unconsidered thoughtless snips are a waste of everybody's time. thanks. ANonymous