Monday, March 15, 2010

So, an update on the Education and Youth Post

Hi all, about two posts ago I whined about what I was overwhelmed with, and seeing as how whining never got anybody anywhere, I guess I got tired of standing still.

So I asked some people, (and have to ask more) about whether they could help or not, and also if they were interested in having their children involved.  Now, some things I am interested in pointing out.  As anybody with _small_ ones knows, (by small I'm talking under five, even under three most of the time) trying to sit and attentively participate in church or any other activity for ten minutes or more that does not involve eating is a doomed activity unless by some freak of nature your children are actually behaved and obedient, or scared stiff of the repercussions of misbehaving.
My kids don't fall into either of those categories.  So a brief period where I can take them out and translate the boring stuff that the adults read into more engaging stuff that the children would listen to, this is a good thing, and after fifteen or twenty minutes I'm back in the pew with them attending the blessing of the Eucharist and observing mass.

Now, back to the point.  There are only about ten children that this might even remotely appeal to, and two of them are mine.  So I asked two of the other parents about it, one started making conditions and excuses, resulting in a qualified yes but not really, and the other parent is a straight laced Catholic from the old school, and insists that their children would not be "deprived" of the chance to observe and be in the presence of the Holy Eucharist, especially since they only get that opportunity to do so once a week for only an hour.

umm....  what?  The second parent I mentioned sits across the aisle from my boys, and from first hand experience, his little ones are not obsessively adoring the Holy Eucharist, they're making faces at my boys who then rise to the occasion and things get troubled after that.  Anyhow, I'll not gainsay his opinion or his choice, but that does leave me with a maximum of 8 kids at this thing then.  I'll have to do the groundwork next week and see if there's any remote chance of getting it online.  If not then I guess my boys and I will be there alone in the back, so that I can present the readings to them in a manner they'll get, without getting too restless.

Anyhow, it's now ten after one in the morning and while I would love to spend some time getting some progress on my novel, I should get to sleep, six am comes early and I'm likely to be up at least one more time before then, when the littlest one starts coughing at about three am.

Good night, and God bless.

Andre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post it, please verify that it's what you really want to say. Unconsidered thoughtless snips are a waste of everybody's time. thanks. ANonymous